Books & Audio
- NO YELLING: The 9 Secrets of Marine Corps Leadership You Must Know to Win in Business By Wally Adamchik
- Conversations On Success, Vol. 2 By Les Brown, Nido Qubein, Jim Kouzes
- Audio CD of World of Concrete 2007 No Yelling presentation By Wally Adamchik
- The Real Capital Currency
- And Now For Something Completely Different…
- Top 13 Things to Look For in Your New Online Training Platform
- Supervision Required
- Are you going nowhere fast? Time to get out of the rut (and into the ocean!)
- Are You a Righty or a Lefty?
- No Slugs Allowed
- These Guys Are Good
- Leading the minority majority
- The Workaround
- Be Offensive
- Show ‘Em You’ve Got the Right Stuff
- The Recession in Your Head
- Fabricating a Career
- Bowl-Eligible: A New Level of Mediocrity
- What If? Three Questions You Must Answer Today to Protect Your Company in the Economy Tomorrow
- Manage Them Out the Door
- Operations Support Staff
- The Rumor Mill Can Grind You Up
- The Easier Buttons
- The best place to find new employees
- Mentors and Mentees
- Nutrition and Decision Making
- Adamchik's Laws of Leadership
- Talking Points For Leaders
- Full Contact Leadership
- The Road Signs of Leadership
- 24/7 Customer Centric
- Get Bad At What You Do!
- The Heroic Last Stand (or not)
- There are NO leadership secrets
- Do Values have value?
- Rules of Engagement; Do your gears mesh?
- Linear vs Non-linear
- ROL - Return on Leadership
- Shamu and You
- Are you making or missing your blocks?
- What Happens In Vegas...
- The Real Truth About ROI
- A Night at Your Office
- Read this if you have children
- Do They Think We Are Stupid?
- The Policy Made Me Do It
Learning Resources: Free Articles
There are no leadership secrets
You have seen the books--the ones with titles like The Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun, The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell, and even The Leadership Secrets of Santa Claus (honestly). In fact, an Amazon search for “leadership secrets” yields over 62,000 results. Clearly, there are a lot of secrets out there. Yet, for all the precious secrets in print, from Christ to Hitler, and in between, many people aren’t getting them. Why not?
Why do we see so many leadership failures? Why aren’t The Secrets taking hold and creating a new breed of enlightened and successful leaders? It certainly isn’t because the books aren’t selling. Why, then, do we have this leadership crisis in the face of so many leadership secrets? I offer four reasons for the exercise of poor leadership:
Silver Bullets -These would-be leaders are scouring the chapters for a magic trick, a shortcut to bring them success. But, only the Lone Ranger had the Silver Bullet - and he was fictitious. Leadership is a complex skill that evolves over time.
- Reality Leadership - Like its counterpart, Reality Television, Reality Leadership is more about being entertained than educated. Readers in this category are not leaders at all; they are merely spectators. Rather than watch “Survivor,” they read how Jean Luc Picard fought the Borg in The Leadership Secrets of Star Trek and convince themselves that they’re developing new skills.
- Abdication - The author’s personal success story gives him/her the opportunity to write the book. Their victory against the odds is supposed to inspire us to new heights. However, these stories can impart another set of feelings in the reader: intimidation, resignation, and detachment. Readers may simply shrug and say, “This doesn’t apply to me.” When they don’t buy in, they check out.
- Laziness - Readers know what they should do but choose not to do it. Leadership requires energy, excitement, and a willingness to become involved in the process. It takes hard work, but some folks don’t want to rise to that challenge.
It’s time for a pop quiz:
- Have you read any books on leadership?
- Did any of those books offer exercises for you to do?
- Did you actually do all or even most of the exercises?
- Are you still doing the things the exercises asked you to work on?
For many people the answer to the last question is, “No.” So, there is a more fundamental question. Why don’t people embrace the secrets? The answer is in the titles. You read The Leadership Secrets of Leader X and, thus, were a casual observer or a mildly interested participant in the exercises. While the reading may have been interesting, inspiring and inviting, it wasn’t infectious, it didn’t become part of you. The secrets remained those of somebody else. You must be “infected” so that these secrets take over your body. You need to make them your own.
So, I have a proposal for you. Sit down and write your own leadership book. It may never get published, but you already know the title: The Leadership Secrets of [insert your name here]. It will be the best book you ever read.
Wally Adamchik is President of FireStarter Speaking and Consulting. Visit the website at www.beaFireStarter.com. He can be reached at 919-673-9499 or wally@beaFireStarter.com.
"Your energetic speaking style and well-polished presentation captured the attention of the entire audience of nearly 300 Coast Guard personnel...Your familiarity with the Coast Guard and our missions was evident, as you incorporated service history and factual information in your presentation... Your sincere, heartfelt presentation certainly contributed to the overall readiness of this command. Thanks Again!"
Captain Mike Moore
USCG, Commanding Officer
Aviation Training Center
Who is Wally Adamchik and why should you trust him with your leaders?
We work with you to create a plan of how to get where your company needs to be. No canned solutions, only proven paths to success.
Through Keynotes, Workshops and Personal Coaching, we give you the tools and knowledge to build leadership in your organization.
Look beneath the Surface BEFORE Making a Hiring or promotion Decision
Books, Audio CD's and Free Articles to inform and inspire you on the subject of leadership